Little Pig Finally Comes Home


As you all know, we have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of our micro pig.  Although it has been quite a journey-several breeders and multiple challenges later-the time finally came.  However, it came one day earlier than expected!

Hubby and I spent the day on the Harley yesterday, read more about our trip in tomorrow’s blog, and were anticipating our little one’s arrival today (Wednesday).  Yesterday as we were enjoying the sights, I received a text that the little guy was headed our way.  Apparently our wires got crossed and the date was mixed up.  Luckily he was coming on a later flights, so it wasn’t a major problem that we were several hours away from home and on a motorcycle.

After a long day of travel and sights, we prepared to make the hour trip to the airport to pick up the piglet.  Luckily, I had gotten all of his stuff earlier in the week.  It was a 10:30 pm flight and we were exhausted from the day.  As most of you know, this breeder has not been easy to get a hold of.  I received no flight number, no flight plan, no airline or any other details except that he would arrive at a specific airport at 10:30 pm.

We called the number the breeder gave us to determine where we would go to pick him up.  The number she supplied was a voicemail service and no one ever called us back.  We pulled into the cargo office and it had closed at 10 pm.  A little more nervous now, we made our way to the main airport and parked.  I am a pretty tough girl, I can face emergent medical conditions with no sweat, I can ward off foxes and snakes without batting an eye, but put me into an airport, or even worse, an airplane and you get a nervous, shaking mess.  There aren’t many things in this world I am afraid of, but airplanes are certainly one of them.

As we entered the airport, I began to shake and those hyperactive butterflies made their way into my belly.  I tried to focus on the task at hand and remind myself that I didn’t actually have to fly anywhere!  Fear is a crazy thing.

We made our way to the baggage claim office and it was closed.  Getting increasingly more frustrated, we made our way to the ticket counter.  No one was at the ticket counter except a few construction guys who were repairing the wall.  They directed us to go down to the security guard.

Back downstairs we went and found the security guard.  He directed us to a phone where we paged for an employee.

We waited around by the baggage claim office and met another couple who were waiting for a kitten on the same flight.  Their little kitty had come all the way from Washington state.  At least the piglet had a traveling companion!

After what seemed like a long period of time, an airline employee entered with a kitty in a crate in one hand and a pig in a crate in the other.  We signed for the piglet and we were on our way home.

We kept him in the crate for the ride home and he slept patiently.  I was anxious to get home and give him water and let him stretch his legs.  We placed him in his new living area and opened the crate.  We waited….and waited.

The poor little thing was so exhausted and scared from traveling he lay in his crate with his eye closed trembling.  I provided plenty of food and water and decided it would be best to let him rest alone for the night.  Hubby and I headed to bed.

In his living space he has a litter box, toys, a super soft bed and of course food and water.  It has been a challenge to figure out where to put the litter box so we don’t have to live with piggy poo right out in the open.  I set up a box that is in the bottom of a closet, so we can close the door when we have company.  When I came downstairs, this is what I saw…


Not exactly how I pictured he would use the litter box, but whatever works to help with his transition to the homestead!  He did eat and drink, which I was grateful for-pigs in distress can not eat for a few days.

This morning, he is still utterly exhausted, but I did get him out of his litter box and into his bed.  He is such a sweet little guy.  His markings are beautiful and super unique.

He was shivering this morning, so I gave him a heating pad and he is now snug as a bug in a rug with his stuffed piggy.



We are undecided on a name so far, I am going to give it some time to get him settled and see what his personality is.  Things have been smooth so far and I am glad we finally have the little pig home safe and sound.  Stay tuned for plenty of wild, pig in the house adventures.  Thank you to all who welcomed him to the homestead!

Until next time…


9 thoughts on “Little Pig Finally Comes Home

  1. He is as cute as a little button!! Hold him a lot during the next couple of weeks so he can bond close to you – you probably already know that 🙂 He’s a handsome little tyke! Reminds me of someone I can’t put my snout on – snorts – can’t wait to hear of his adventures. XOXO – Bacon

  2. Pingback: So You Want a Little Piggy? | homesteadredhead

  3. Pingback: So You Want a Little Piggy? | Modern Homesteaders

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s