Life on the homestead is anything but glamorous. Over the last two years, I have had the pleasure and displeasure of experiencing situations I couldn’t have prepared for. There are times I just have to laugh at the silliness of life here on the homestead.
You know you are fully immersed in life on the homestead when…
- You frequently wake up with a lovely wet spot of piggy drool on your shirt…pillow…sheets…
- You had to throw away your iPhone cover because it got chicken poo smooshed into it.
- You have faced off with a hungry hawk and won.
- After a twelve hour night shift, you throw a 50 pound bag of feed over your shoulder and head down to feed everyone breakfast.
- You heard your chickens sound their alarm and ran out the door, barefoot and not particularly dressed, and chased away a hungry fox.
- You have woken up, walked outside, gathered freshly layed eggs, still warm from the hen, and cooked a delicious breakfast.
- You have stayed up all night in the pouring rain to watch over your laboring pig.
- You have given your girls (hens) a stern lecture for wandering too far away.
- You have sat ouside, listened to the happy snorts of your piggies, the enthusiastic clucks of your hens, taken a deep breath of fresh, sunshine filled air and realized how incredibly blessed you are.
Life on the homestead consistently brings wild, unexpected adventures, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.
Until next time…